Friday 1 December 2017

BSA PODCAST EPISODE 7: Shownotes




OUT NOW!: Episode 7 of the Beatles Songwriting Academy Podcast! The podcast is free to everyone who subscribes to the BSA mailing list and each episode will only be available for ONE MONTH. Sign up now to get the current episodeWhaddaya waiting for!

NEW FEATURE!Ep 7 Spotify Playlist (let me know what you think in the comments. Did you use it? Was it useful?)

0:00 Intro - (They Got The Monkees)

Quote: Dumb And Dumber

1:41 – Painting Something For No One (Help With Chords)

Wonderwall – Oasis
D'You Know What I Mean – Oasis
Something - The Templeton Twins With Teddy Turner And His Bunsen Burners
More on the chords from Something here and here
Junkie (1984) – Steve Vai
Wire And Wood (1985) – Alcatrazz
Answers (1990) – Steve Vai

11:32 – A Tribute To Hoopshank (In Three Movements)

February Album Writing Month www.fawm.org
Paul 'Hoopshank' Turrell

12:29 Yellow Submarine - Hoopshank
29:29 The Decisive Five - Hoopshank
56:15 Wild Honey Pie - Keith Skylark Band

11:53 – Real Modulations and False Teeth (Paul McCartney on Fresh Air)

Full Interview mp3
Full Interview Transcription
My Valentine (Paul McCartney)
Cheek To Cheek (Fred Astaire)
Teeth Like Stars Trailer (1980's BBC Radio 4)

24:34 – Another Lennon and McCartney Original (I Fancy Me Chances)

Fly On The Wall (Let Be Naked Bonus Disc)
Mark Lewisohn Website
Mark Lewisohn: A Beatlemaniac's Prayer


26:49 That No Good Dirty Robbing Songwriting Website - (Please Share This Link!)

My post on BSA Five Unusual Songwriting Tricks From The Beatles
Sharon Goldman

31:19 – The Chord (A Hard Day's Audio Spectrum Analysis)

Beatles Bible
More on the drummer on Dear Prudence
Another Hard Day's Night (From Help! OST) - Ken Thorpe or George Martin Orchestra?

50:29 – Fire In The Fireplace (What I Learned about Songwriting From A Crazy Guy In Liverpool)

Nicholas Tozier
Original Post (The Lyric Writer's Workroom)
The Beatles Story, Liverpool
With God On Our Side – Bob Dylan
Sableyalo Mi Agontze (The Bleating Lamb) - Bulgarian State Radio & Television Female Vocal Choir from Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares Vol. 1
Lamentations (NIV Translation)
In My Life – Pageshu youtube

Idents by Poddingham Paul courtesy of LeftLion Thanks Paul! 
Closing theme - 'Piggies' performed by The Black Heartthrobs available here Thanks BH! 
Thanks also to Curtis Pea, Nancy Rost, Sharon Goldman and Nicholas Tozier.

About Beatles Songwriting Academy

70+ Songwriting Tips From The Beatles
The Be-Atletudes
About Beatles Songwriting Academy
Music by Matt Blick

6 comments:

  1. I'm already subscribed to the list but I haven't received anything yet. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "coming SOON" hopefully Monday - just working on uploading and the email campaign etc

      Delete
  2. Hi Matt I've been following this blog for quite a while now and I must say you deserve much thanks and praise for the work you've done here.
    I was a little bit disappointed with this episode to be honest because of the lack of new content in terms of songwriting material. You've discussed the idea of the Beatles re-using chord progressions before I believe, as you have a video showing the similarities between the chords of For No One and Something. However it was interesting to hear Hoopshank's take on Yellow Submarine which was surprisingly good (considering I've no idea who he is nor am I a fan of prog rock).
    I was wondering when you'll finish the songs on The White Album and move on to the next album as it's been a while. (Not that I'm trying to make you rush! Please take your time. I'm just eager to learn more from these songwriting geniuses lol)
    Also, is there any way to get access to the older podcast episodes? 'Cause I've only caught 6 and now 7. I've missed the first 5 because I wasn't a member yet.

    Anyways, keep up the great work and enjoy the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matthew, thanks for taking the time to comment. Reusing/re-presenting insights is a deliberate strategy I'm afraid as I continue to gain additional insights (that Help also uses a similar progression) so I'm afraid if you stick around for long enough you are gonna hear me repeat myself! I'm also continually exploring what is the best format for presenting my research - audio/video/print - and I've not found Youtube to be that effective for me (the video you mentioned has gained only 600 views in 6 years - so although you've seen it, most haven't) and Youtube keeps taking them down anyway.

      I'm hoping to progress with the White Album this year, other commitments allowing, but am not sure which album I do next...

      Drop me an email about old episodes and I'll see what I can do - just reply to the mailing list one you got for episode 7

      Delete
  3. Love the bumpers! (I hope I live long enough to be able to read Mark Lewisohn's thick books). I visited Liverpool last October, it was great to see all the famous sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let me know if you head back to the UK!

      Delete