What This All About? What Goes On?
One man's journey since 2009 to play through and analyse all 211 Beatles songs and extract as much songwriting wisdom as I can
Who Sir, are you Sir?
Matt Blick. A singer songwriter, music teacher and blogger from Nottingham UK. Here's what I'm doing right now.
Who loves ya, baby?
CD Baby. They named me one of the top 10 songwriting resources to follow on Twitter.
You've got a lot of posts. Where should I start?
- If you want to dive into the practicalities check out the Tickets To Write list and try using one or two to write your next song.
- For a general overview of creativity Beatles-style read any of the Be-Atletudes.
- There are lists of the albums I've completed here.
- You can read up on the artists that have been influenced by the Beatles.
Or you could just search by song (column on the right) to see what I've covered so far.
How many songs have you covered?
As of July 2017 – 90. I'm nearing the end of The White album and I've completed Please Please Me, With The Beatles, Abbey Road and Let It Be.
What about singles?
I'm covering them as I go. I started in chronological order but now I'm going in reverse chronological order
Because Desmond turned the special key when the hatch was about to blow up.
What about Free As A Bird/Leave My Kitten Alone/Cry For A Shadow?
Nope. You gotta draw the line somewhere.
Maybe in another life Brotha...
I love what you're doing. How can I help?
There are varying levels of support – all gratefully received
- Buy my music
- Make a donation via paypal here
- Buy me a resource from this list
- Tell a friend – tweet/share a link
- Leave me a nice encouraging comment
- Best of all – write a cool song using these tips and then tell me about it
That's not a question. But you can get demos of all my song for free here. You can buy my music here.
I like you. Can I like you?
Not any more - I quit Facebook entirely in 2019 (highly recommended) You can still follow me on twitter (as of Jun 2020) - I'm Real Matt Blick. You can contact me through www.mattblick.com too.
Have you read...?
Do you have any recommendations for books about the Beatles?
Sure do. Right here.
John or Paul?
Paul – because - like the Xerox Phaser® 4510 Laser Printer - he worked harder.
Best drummer in the Beatles?
Rubber Soul or Revolver?
A Hard Day's Night
Let It Be or Let It Be Naked?
Let It Be Partially Clothed
Yoko Ono box set or a kick in the nuts?
I'll take a kick in the nuts please
What's your comment policy?
- Be nice.
- Feel free to disagree with me. If you provide musical justification we'll both learn something.
- If you point out something I've missed, direct me to a cool cover version, article or book I'll love you forever.
- And 'thanks, but no thanks' Ms Spammy, but I have several fake handbags full of viagra already.
I've never visited your site before but I feel an uncontrollable urge to inform you you're a jerk who doesn't appreciate true genius because you dissed my favourite song. What should I do?
Try YouTube. I hear they have a vacancy.
Are there any other sites you'd recommend?
Can I quote/repost your stuff on my blog?
Yes but please credit me and link back to this site. And if you're wanting to use an entire post please contact me first.
If you love the Beatles so much why do you diss their songs?
Because some Beatles songs were a better than others. Some way better. Which means some are way worse. I want to understand why the good are good and the bad are bad. Read this for more explanation
Beatles or Stones?
Do you really need to ask?
Who was the real fifth Beatle?
George Martin. Closely followed by Brian Epstein (which I guess makes him the 2nd 5th Beatle)
And the fifth Dr Who?
Fifth Marx Brother?
Fifth President of the United States?
This is getting boring now
Have you read Alan Pollack's site? Or Ian MacDonalds book?
Yes and yes
Why do I need to read your blog, when Pollack and MacDonald are so much better?
Well you don't. But I'm doing this first and foremost, for myself. And their focus is more academic whereas my focus is more practical - how can I write better songs?
Do you have a picture of Jimi Hendrix playing a banjo?
No. This is a Beatles focused site.
OK what about Paul doing the dishes with Michael Jackson?
Not a problem