Saturday 13 August 2016

What Goes Online: Revolver Edition


As you may have heard Revolver is 50 years old this year. I know. Awesome. And kind of depressing too.

Revolver remains my favourite Beatles album largely for the breathtaking scope. Here's some interesting articles.

Ultimate Rock answers Five Big ‘Revolver’ Questions

I was surprised the see the consensus on which song they'd cut (it wasn't Yellow Submarine) and the best cover (Earth Wind & Fire’s Got to Get You Into My Life) and I think this is spot on

Exactly what is it that makes Revolver so great? 
Along with Rubber Soul, this is the time in their career where Paul and John are equals. For the first few years, it was Lennon’s group, and, beginning with Sgt. Pepper, McCartney started to take over. But for a couple of albums, they were on the same level.

Guitar World breaks down the tech side

Ray Davies reviews Revolver in 1966 (and doesn't rate it)

Vanilla blogs on the downside of Revolver

My review of Revolver. How The Beatles Reimagined Rock 'N' Roll

And the LA Times proposes it might just be something in the water. Pet Sounds, Blonde On Blonde, Freak Out - 1966 was a great year for music.



Would you like to receive exclusive bonus Beatles Songwriting Tips? Join the mailing list right here!


4 comments:

  1. You don't say why Revolver's 50th birthday is depressing. Is it the passing of time and getting older?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's like an olympic record being set 50 years ago and no-one beating it however hard they try ... what's the point!

      Delete
    2. I recently blogged that while still at school (the edge of the screen now goes wavy), I bought Revolver and Rubber Soul on the same day. So, for me, I've *always*, in my head, known them as one: a double album, if you will. The fact that Revolver is 50 years old should come as no surprise; except maybe to Yoko: her old man never even got to celebrate its 20th anniversary.

      Delete
    3. Yes - George Harrison couldn't remember which songs were on which either, and Capitol records messing about with the running order doesn't help...

      Delete