Wednesday 7 April 2010

Meet The New Blog, Same As The Old Blog



New name? So what?

Welcome to Beatles songwiting blog 2.0

I’ve still got the same goals

  1. To listen and play through all 211 Beatles songs in order and sort out the great from the good and the good from the bad.
  2. To pull out all the musical seeds of ideas that I can steal and use for my own songs (and your’s too)
  3. To look at their career and working practices and find out what they did that I can emulate to make me a better writer.

So what’s different?

Playing through all the songs chronologically may be a great way to learn, but it’s not a good way for me blog about them.

I don’t want to try squeezing out posts out about bad songs (and there are a few).

And some of the great ideas are used so many times that by the time I get to the classic songs that are the best example of a particular point I’m going to have run out of things to say.

And there are at least 3 or 4 excellent blogs that have worked through the cannon chronologically and done it far better than me, not to mention the bleached bones of a million others that tried and failed littering the blogosphere.

For me the important thing is not the Beatles but what I can get from them.

So?...


So I’m going to take an overview of each 'chapter' of the Beatles story (which roughly corresponds with an album) and then zone in on particular classic songs or ideas. And I think I’m going to do this in something of a random order. The problem is at the moment I’m like a mosquito in a nudist camp. I know what I want to do – I just don’t know where to start! So I’m going to start everywhere at once.

But always trying to

Know the Beatles songs
Write better songs
Become a better writer

Are you with me?



No comments:

Post a Comment