Pages

▼

Monday, 24 February 2014

Ticket 24: Use Parallel Lyrics


Word echoes. Rhyming ideas. Lyrical pairing. Whatever you want to call it, if you're using a word, use it (or a different form) somewhere else in the song. Repeat the sentence structure with a different object. Change the 'person'. For example


  • My mind is on the blink/my mind is set on you
  • He got hair down to his knee/He got feet down below his knee
  • And in the middle of negotiations you break down/and in the middle of investigation I break down
  • Here comes the sun/Sun, sun, sun, here it comes
  • I read the news, oh boy/I saw a film today, oh boy

  • Though the news was rather sad/though the holes were rather small

  • Found my way downstairs/found my coat/found my way upstairs

  • I just had to laugh/I just had to look


Most songs including

A Day In The Life, Because, Come Together, From Me To You, Get Back, Here Comes The Sun
Hey Jude, Hold Me Tight, I Me Mine, I'm So Tired, Julia, One After 909, Piggies, Something,
The Long And Winding Road, You Never Give Me Your Money

Also My Monkey (Jonathan Coulton)

See Also

Ticket 23: Write Fewer Lyrics
Ticket 54: Unify Your Lyrical Imagery
Ticket 67: Repeat Verse 1

See the full list of songwriting tips here - Tickets To Write



2 comments: